I love the crispy, satisfying crunch of granola. Every now and then a nice bowlful topped with almond milk really hits the spot. What’s more? Cal absolutely adores it. Believe me I have caught him sneaking it by the mouthful still standing in the pantry (I then usually remind him that it is reserved for breakfast; however, we did try this one for dessert last night….I mean I had to make sure it was taste worthy!).
I have to admit after making the Clean Fruit & Nut Oatmeal Bars a few weeks ago I was determined to try my hand at granola. I had also stocked up on Cacao Nibs and knew I wanted to use them in this recipe. Delightful cranberries made it into the mix because I realized we still had 3 giant bags of cranberries in the freezer since last winter.
We are those crazy kids that stock up during the winter months on cranberries with the thought that we cannot possibly wait another 8-9 months to see them resurface again. So, little winter cranberries…this is your shining moment. Also, there is a rogue bag of pistachios hiding in the apartment else those would have been an amazing addition.
-4 cups rolled oats
-1/2 cup slivered almonds
-1/3 cup chopped pecans
-1/3 cup unsweetened coconut
-2 heaping tablespoons flaxseed
-1 heaping teaspoon of chia seeds
-1 heaping teaspoon of hempseeds
-1/2 cup halved cranberries
-1/3 cup chopped dates
-1/3 cup cacao nibs
-1/4 cup melted coconut oil
-1/3 cup almond butter
-1/3 cup raw local honey
-1 whisked egg white
3. Place the coconut oil, almond butter and honey into a microwave safe dish. I like to use my 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup for this, but you can use any microwave safe dish you’d like. Heat covered for one minute and stir to combine. You can also do this step in a small pot on the stove. I would heat this for about 3-5 minutes on low.
4. Pour the liquid over the dry mixture in your large mixing bowl. Then, mix like your life depends on it.
5. Lastly, I added a cracked whisked egg white into this mixture. The addition of the egg white is to better bind the ingredients and allows you to use a lesser amount of oil. With this addition you get those delectable nuggets that are so sought after. Once again stir until completely combined. Sprinkle a little salt over the mixture and stir again until combined.
6. Spray a long flat cooking sheet with baking spray. Preferably use a sheet that has sides so your granola doesn’t end up all over the bottom of your oven. I can see that being a nightmare.
7. Bake for about 40-45 minutes. If you prefer looser granola stir halfway through and return to the oven for the remainder of the time.
And, that’s really all it takes to make yourself a delicious breakfast. It’s simple, it’s easy and it’s fast. I mixed up this batch and then proceeded to work my upper body with the 21 day fix (Upper Fix) workout. I had just enough time to hop in the shower after, and what was awaiting me? Amazingness, that’s what. Use for cereal or on top of yogurt. Either is delectable and you can have a fun time creating your own flavor.
What’s in your favorite mix of granola?
As always eat healthy stay fit,